Pages


Body Image

Why do we do what we do? Why do we work our rear ends off and sweat buckets? For health? Muscles? Looks? Some sort of high? I've been thinking back to before I started this journey, when I was searching for something to help me get on the "right track". What were my reasons? I know I kept hitting a painful plateau that seemed to be insurmountable and I needed something more. I wasn't happy with how out of shape I was and needed a breakthrough. Was it purely vanity? Maybe. Probably. I really never thought about the health benefits that I would receive as far as learning about good nutrition. I never thought about what it all would mean for the inside of my body, I just wanted to get into some cute jeans and have sexy arms! But now that I've come this far I can honestly say for me to continue in this healthy lifestyle it can't be purely vain mainly because I'm never going to be completely happy with the way I look. Even now that I'm the size I am I still see things so wrong with my body. I guess society has trained my mind in a warped way to see myself less than what I am. There are some things I'll never be able to change no matter how well I eat or how many times I do Ab Ripper or kill myself in Intervals. It is what it is and while I know I need to get over it, it's so hard. I'm working out now solely because it's what's best for my overall health and well being. I'm eating right because I know that what my body needs to function at it's best. Thankfully, I understand that all now so even though the mirror doesn't reflect what I want it to, it doesn't matter (as much). Why did you really decide to do P90X? Are you still unhappy with your body even though you can do a zillion push ups and get through Plyo without breaking a sweat? What will it take for you to finally be happy with yourself and if you are one of the lucky ones who have no complaints, how did you get there? I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on this subject because I know so many struggle with body image even when their body is in tip top shape.

Take care!

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking about this very subject the other day, but mainly because I have a couple of friends who decided to have gastric bypass surgery to lose weight... I took one of them to the gym for a month, and they lost 18 pounds, and then quit because they weren't losing weight FAST enough... Since then, she's lost over 100 pounds, and I asked her how many calories she can eat in a day, and she answered that she didn't know, but she'd had a cinnamon pecan roll for breakfast and some other junk food for lunch... Huh?! I know of 2 people how have gained the weight back and then some after surgery. If people want to lose weight for just looks, I think they're more likely to gain weight back. Do it for health, and not only are you beautiful on the outside, but you're HEALTHY on the inside. I think that no one has a perfect body image of themselves, but as long as they are getting healthy, they FEEL better about themselves. There's always room for improvement, but the confidence skyrockets in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete